The Texas Historical Commission roadside marker now standing at the downtown Depot Museum has been added to the Commission’s Historic Sites Atlas. Now history buffs have another reason to search out and visit Tomball and the historic Depot.
The direct link to the THC Atlas is https://atlas.thc.texas.gov/Details/5201010793/print.
Marker Text: Harris County was 1861 center for 492 miles of state railroads, with Texas & New Orleans going from here to Orange; Houston & Texas Central to Millican; Houston Tap & Brazoria to Columbia; Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado to Alleyton; and Galveston, Houston & Henderson to Galveston. At Hempstead on the H. & T. C., passengers took the Washington County R. R. to Brenham and from there went by stagecoach to Austin, the state capital. Eastern Texas R. R. went from Beaumont to Sabine Pass; Memphis, El Paso & Phoenix ran 5 miles out of Jefferson; and a “Southern Pacific” went to the Louisiana line from Marshall. Making junction with the San Antonio & Mexican Gulf which ran from Port Lavaca to Victoria was the 15-mile Indianola R. R. 1,000 troops guarded and maintained the T. & N. O. Other troops destroyed 2 lines to prevent their use in possible invasions. War ruined 7 roads, because overtaxed industry could not replace worn tracks, parts or rolling stock. By 1865 only the H. & T. C. and the G. H. & H. still ran trains, and their tracks and rolling stock were much in need of replacement. The railroads had met the challenge as they have in every war.